sábado, 12 de noviembre de 2011

Andrea Brachfeld Dear Music Lover

As I sit at my computer on this snowy October(!!!!!) day, I am reminded of how lucky I am to be inside, safe, warm, and have everything I need to be more than comfortable. Everyday I thank the universe, the source for all the blessings in my life, realizing how many people do not have what I do have... Okay- fast forward 3 days-- I couldn't finish this newsletter because my electricity went out, heat went off and I had to become cavewoman! Thank goodness I had enough dry firewood to get me through Saturday and Sunday when I had no power to feed my fire! Life is so funny! You never know when things will change in a minute! Anyway, I am still thankful for all I have and I hope you all have fared as well throughout these weird times where natural disasters are seeming to happen more frequently and Occupy Wall Street is occupying everyone's mind as we all seem to be struggling. In any case, let's continue to support each other and let live music live on!
In the News

JAZZ WAS THE ANSWER: Andrea Brachfeld was featured in The New York Times City Room by journalist David Gonzalez. Read the full article here!
Manna House celebrates 44 musical years! Read the New York Daily News article here.

Manna House Celebrates
44 Years of Music Instruction
East Harlem Nonprofit Honors Two Women of Dance & Song in a musical celebration
From doo-wop harmonies to jazz improvisations, East Harlem's Manna House celebrates its 44th year in a gala extravaganza honoring two extraordinary women of song and dance: Marie Brooks of Marie Brooks Caribbean Dance Theatre and Restoration Dance Company; and Arlene Smith, original lead singer of the Chantels.

This event will also feature some of our students and many jazz luminaries participating in a jazz jamboree that has become one of the traditions of the Gala. Performers scheduled to perform are: Gerald Hayes, Bill Saxon, Ethan Mann, Jimmy Owens, DelMar Brown, John Robinson, Andrea Brachfeld, Rael Wesley Grant, James Weidman, Kenwood Dennard, Carlton Holmes, Melissa Slocum, James Weidman, and Chulo Gatewood among others!
When: Sunday, November 13, 2011 from 4-7 pm
Where: Museum of the City of New York, 1220 Fifth Avenue (at 103rd Street)
For ticket purchases click here.
Be on the Lookout
Hubert Laws will be in town as a featured performer on Nov. 19 at an event hosted by Haynes Flutes and Weissman Music. There will be music, flutes, wine, and cheese.
There might even be a jam session and who knows who (LOL!) might show up!
Zebulon Sound and Lighting
223 West 28th Street
2pm to 7pm

In This Issue
In The News
Be on the Lookout
Show Calendar
Rejuvenate Your Spirit & Learn the Basics of Jazz Improvisation

Show Calendar
Sunday,
November 13, 2011
Manna House
44th Anniversary Gala
Museum of the
City of New York
1220 Fifth Avenue
(103rd St.)
to purchase tickets
click here

MUSIC WORKSHOPS
Rejuvenate Your Spirit by Playing Your Instrument Again!
Have you ever said to yourself, "I wish I had continued to play my instrument," but somehow it seemed it was never meant to be? Now is your chance to pick it up again in a safe and trusting environment. Relearn the joy you felt by playing your (western) instrument and re-inspire yourself. It is never too late to bring the happiness of playing an instrument back into your life.
Saturdays,
Nov. 12; Dec. 3
10:30am - 12:30pm

Learn the Basics of Jazz Improvisation
Experience and learn the basics of jazz improvisation! Included will be a short history of jazz, explaining how it developed as the unique classical music of the United States. Since learning to play jazz requires a certain level of technical proficiency on one's instrument, this class is for intermediate to advanced players. You will use previous knowledge of your instrument and the basic scales of the western tradition. You will be able to allow the music to flow through you and release any inner resistance to improvisation.
Sundays,
Nov. 13; Dec. 4
2:00pm - 4:00pm

Tuition $35 per class
At the Ananda Ashram Yoga Society of New York
All levels are welcomed. (Of course, bring your own instrument!)

No hay comentarios: